Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Raising Happy Kids

“Abundance can be had simply by consciously receiving what has already been given.” —Sufi Saying

On the day before Thanksgiving, we are all thinking “Today, I grateful for… (fill in the blank)”.  Our Thanksgiving tradition is spending the day making a grand meal with love for our loved ones.  We join hands, bow our heads, and take turns saying what we are grateful for.  A cherished tradition, we typically only remember to carry out one day a year. 

In my quest of raising happy kids through some scientifically backed research, I have found that happy kids usually come from happy adults.  So what makes all of us happy?  It comes from within, nothing monetary or physical can bring us long term happiness.  It comes from being content with exactly what we have been given.  Being thankful and appreciative for all that we have rather than focusing on disappointment which can lead to entitlement.

So how can we implement this more than just once a year I ask?  With my 3 year old Ethan, every night after a good book and some snuggle time, our bedtime routine now includes the nightly question “Tell me what was good about your day?”  We both reflect on what we liked.  Sometimes his 3 year old imagination will run wild, and he’ll say something inventive like “I liked flying to the moon” or “slaying a dragon”.  But I figure, even if he is being thankful for something in his imagination, this gives me something to be grateful.  Raising a happy, healthy kid with a great big imagination, what could be more satisfying than that?

With that, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you know peace!

Namaste,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment