Monday, November 14, 2011

An open mind = an open heart

In my former life in software engineering, everything was about zeroes and ones, true or false, black or white, there was no grey.  As a result, there are times in my life when I experience things that I cannot describe as "logical" where I have a hard time keeping an open mind.  Whether it be the latest news headline, or differing opinion, I will be the first to admit, it can easy to be quick to judge.  Perhaps call it passion for my beliefs, but nonetheless it is judgement. 

I have sometimes passed this off as speaking my truth (Satya).  However, in re-reading Patanjali's Yoga Sutras recently, the first Yama really struck a chord.  The particular version I was reading stated, when in question, always refer to the first Yama, Ahimsa or Non-violence: inflicting no injury or harm to others or even to one's own self, it goes as far as non-violence in thought, word and deed.

Many times I end my classes with 3 OM's to represent a week of peaceful thoughts, words and deeds.  But for some reason the book I was reading is what resonated some of my attitudes and beliefs are in need of some work.

My new intention going forward is to first listen, then remember to breathe and attempt to think from another perspective.  My heart opens and the space I feel tension in my temples clears even thinking this way.  I can't say I will be perfect, but that's why they call it a "yoga practice" not a "yoga perfect" and right here I set the intention to put my open mindedness first and set my judgements aside.

Here's to taking your yoga off the mat and into your life.  Much love, peace and prosperity to you and your family!
~Julie

2 comments:

  1. Love this Julie. It's important for me to remember also that just because I am open to considering something, doesn't mean I am adopting it as something I have to agree with. Being open means, open to let it come, open to let it go. Keep what works for me, let what doesn't work for me go back into the cosmos.
    I like your statement, " taking your yoga off the mat and into your life. " It reminds to breath deeply...
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Julie for sharing your thoughts. I've been becoming more aware of this need in myself recently to not judge and your views are a helpful reminder; especially coming from one practiced in the field.
    An Andea's comments about "doesn't mean I am adoptiing" ...open to let it come, open to let it go" are also very insightful & helpful.
    Keep your posts coming!
    Marlys

    ReplyDelete