Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Julie’s post-ski yoga stretches:

After you’ve taken you ski’s off, (note: this routine begins with ski boots on) and while your heart rate is still elevated, take caution and only do what feels right, take breaks as needed, you know your body better than anyone.  These postures are merely my suggestions based on my personal yoga practice and may be too advanced for a beginning practitioner.  If you do not know some of the postures listed, attend a yoga class with a certified teacher, research the web, or feel free to ask me.  Enjoy!
  • Wall supported Dancer (Natarajasana)
  • High lunge (chair or stair supported as you untie your boots)
  • Hamstring stretch, foot flexed, while removing your boots
  • Crescent lunge (Anjaneyasana)
  • Side angle (Parsvakonasana), rotate chest open & lift upper arm, look up
  • Repeat on other side
  • Empty coat sleeves, gently continue until your heart rate has dropped enough to move your head below your heart, at any time if you feel dizzy, come up and rest, discontinue practice or continue when you feel ready.
  • Wide legged forward fold (Prasarita Padottanasana ) with hands clasped behind back in yoga mudra
  • Mountain (Tadasana) with shoulder circles
  • Half Moon (Ardha Chandrasana)
  • Standing Backbend, support low back with hands..if you have a mat or somewhere comfortable to lie down move forward, if not end here
  • Standing forward fold (Uttanasana)
  • Wind relieving pose (Pavanamuktasana)
  • Reclining Pigeon (Supta Kapotasana)
  • Happy Baby (Ananda Balasana)
  • Corpse pose (Savasana) rest for at least 5 minutes!
May you be happy, may your be healthy, may you know peace! (oh yeah, and may we get more snow!) 

Shanti!  (That’s peace in Sanskrit!  )

Hope you’ve enjoyed.  I teach locally in Bemidji 2nd & 4th Saturday’s at the United Methodist church, 9th & Beltrami Ave. @ 9:30 AM if you would like to check out one of my classes.  Be well.

~Julie

about me:  I have been practicing yoga since 1995, 2012 marks my 17th year! I am a 200-hour Registered Hatha Yoga Teacher with Yoga Alliance. I have 200+ hours of Yoga Teacher Training in: Asana, Pranayama, Anatomy & Physiology, Philosophy and Meditation.

My yoga styles of study include Ashtanga, Hot Yoga, Jivamukti, Kripalu, Kundalini, Vinyasa, Prenatal and Restorative. While each of these have their own dedicated methods, I have found inspiration from each and they have meshed themselves into my own unique style. For more information visit my website at www.YogaByJulie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment