Thursday, February 23, 2012

Off track

During my morning ski, the once nicely groomed trails my neighbor so graciously provided, were getting a little sloppy.  We had a big un-thaw and then a quick freeze which caused the ski tracks to be slightly uneven.  The entire ski, I battled with keeping my ski's and subsequently my feet and mind "on track".  I'm constantly spraining my ankle, it's so bad I have actually sprained my ankle twice getting into Easy Seated Pose (Sukhasana); so I was anxious about a sprain the entire ski.  I feel like I wasted this amazing opportunity to take in nature's splendor, seize my alone time and enjoy, instead I was mentally wrestling with being "off track". 

One of the amazing gift's yoga has given me, is that life has many metaphors, and moment's like this are an opportunity to look internally.  So I decided to examine what is "off track" in my life.  Well let's see, it's been 8 months now and I still have 36 of those baby pounds to lose.  This seems to consume all of my mental and physical free time and energy.  While I do love skiing, I have to admit to myself I've become a bit obsessed.  I drug the whole family out for a night ski last week after dinner.  I advertised it as a moon & star viewing opportunity to my husband & son who are both avid star gazers.  Unfortunately, neither of the kiddos appreciated this, and it ended up with my husband sprint skiing across the lake in the dark via headlamp to get both screaming kids back to the house. 

My eating & wine consumption has also been off track, however I did download a new app for my iPhone called, myFitnessPal and this has done wonder's for getting my calorie consumption back "on track".  I'm happy to report I've lost 10.5 lbs since starting this about a month ago, oh yeah and it's free.

Our lack of immunity at the Frank household has also been throwing the entire family "off track".  Each of us has been sick with something, I swear since school started last fall.  It tempts me to lock everyone up & not let them make contact with other germ infested life forms, but that reminds me too much of the Seinfeld episode of the boy in the bubble.  So I carry on our daily lives of play dates with runny nosed kids & try not to visibly cringe; at least not so their mom's can see me.  My homeopath tells me fear brings sickness into the body, well I'm sorry but I say it's snot!

Whatever your situation, yoga invites you to explore an internal scan, "What's going well?", "What's not?"  "Am I 'off track'"?, and "What can I choose to do about it, or not?".

With that, I leave you happy, on the road to healthy, and peaceful!

The light in my honors the light in you.  ~ Namaste

Julie

www.YogaByJulie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment